Wednesday 12 July 2017

Michael Carrick named as new Man Utd captain after Rooney departure

The 35-year-old has previously skippered the team in the absence of United's all-time leading goalscorer, but will officially make the step up from vice-captain next term.
Carrick is entering his 12th season at Old Trafford, having played an integral role for Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho in his first year at the helm, which delivered the EFL Cup and Europa League titles.
The England international is honoured to be able to mentor the club's young players, although not as forcefully as United icon Roy Keane did.
"It feels great and it is such a huge honour to captain such a great club," Carrick told MUTV during preparations for their pre-season tour in the US.
"It is my 12th year now and I came as a 25 year old. I never thought I could be here for so long and achieve so much.
"Now, to lead the boys and look after the young boys, to guide them in some ways, it is a nice thing and a real pleasure. I came to this club as a footballer and I am now a huge fan. I have grown to love the club over the years and to be in this position is very special for me.
"I will just be myself, you can't change and it is wrong to come into the role and then suddenly change, shouting and screaming at everyone, telling them what to do.
"I am not like that. I will speak when I need to speak, but I am quite laid back and chilled out really. I will try to lead by example."

No comments:

Post a Comment