Saturday 29 April 2017

Pochettino urges Tottenham to focus on their title challenge when they face Arsenal at White Hart Lane for final time


Mauricio Pochettino urged Tottenham's players and fans to put aside the emotion of the north London derby and focus on their title challenge.
Spurs have won eight in a row in the Premier League and are four points behind Chelsea at the top of the table and must beat Arsenal to keep the pressure on.
Victory will also put 17 points between the local rivals and ensure they finish the season ahead of Arsene Wenger's team for the first time since 1995.

'My challenge and my aim is not to be above Arsenal,' said Pochettino. 'My challenge, my aim and my dream is to be above 19 teams and be on the top.
'With respect, I don't care what happens with Arsenal. What I care is what happens with us. That's our big, big challenge at Tottenham.

'We are so close, only four points. Only but it is massive with only five games to play.
'I will be very disappointed if we don't win the title. but I don't think which is the position of Arsenal.'
Under Pochettino, Tottenham finished third last season, slipping behind Arsenal on the final day of the season but they have already won more points than last season and have won every game at White Hart Lane since October.

'We are playing from the beginning of the season as if it's the last game at White Hart Lane,' said the Spurs boss. 'Everyone behaves with energy that is amazing and you can be sure Sunday is a special game and we will try altogether to win.
'We compete against a very good team like Arsenal. They have fantastic players. But all together we can give our best and try to get three points.

We are sure we will arrive with the momentum to achieve big things. The club is working hard and working well. The plan is not only on the pitch. It's clear. You can feel every day the excitement. It motivates you to give your best.' 

Furthermore, the Tottenham boss understands exactly what the north London derby means to the fans.
Pochettino said: 'I really understood when I signed. Before, not too much. I knew it was a big London derby but the magnitude, what it means to Tottenham fans, I was aware when I first came here and felt what they feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment